This is a “satvik” super tasty dish of GSB Cochin. We can see this dish served in temple feasts, marriage and other important feasts of GSB’s residing in central Kerala. This is a lip smacking dish, even a first time taster will surely fall in love with this dish. The preparation of this dish is very simple.
- Ash gourd -1 cup
- Mande – 1 cup
- Kachil ( a variety of yam) or Potato – 1 cup.(according to availability) All these vegetables are peeled, washed, cut in to one inch pieces
- Thick Butter milk – 2 cups
- Green Chilly slit – 1
- Salt to taste
For the Masala
- Grated coconut. – ½ coconut
- Green chillies – 4
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
For the Seasoning
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds ½ tsp
- Curry leaves few
- Pressure cook ash guard, mande and Kachil / Potato.
- Grind grated coconut, green chillies with cumin seeds to a fine paste.
- In a pan cook the ground masala, green chilly, salt along with the cooked vegetables.
- Maintain medium thick consistency.
- Add butter milk and mix well.
- Switch off the gas when the first boiling bubbles are seen.
- Season with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
Thakka Ambat is ready to serve with hot rice.
- Do not over cook vegetables.
- After adding butter milk do not over boil.