Appo or urad dal paniyaram is one of the most traditional breakfast dish of GSB community. The lovely roasted paniyarams is usually had with garlic chutney only.
Ingredients for Appo
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Raw rice – 3 cups
- Soak urad dal and rice together for 5 hours
- Now grind them in a wet grinder till d batter is almost smooth .
- Take care that the rice should be little bit coarse but smoother than rava consistency .
- The consistency of the batter should also be bit thick like that of idli batter
- Now keep the batter covered for overnight fermentation
- In the morning you can add salt and prepare nicely roasted “appo” in the south indian paniyaram pan ( or appe kayili in konkani)
Ingredients for Garlic chutney ( Losune chutney)
- Coconut grated -1 cup
- Garlic cloves – 6 to 8
- Red chillies – 4 to 6
- Tamarind -small piece
- Fry the garlic cloves in little oil till they turn nicely golden colour.
- Now grind all together adding salt and very little water to get a thick chutney