Deep fried snacks are often called unhealthy but we can indulge ourselves once in a while.Cant we? Batate ambado can be called as an Amchi version of the famous batata vada .Though a bit time consuming process than the other fried snacks like pakodas ,you wont regret once you bite into them.So go ahead and satisfy your taste buds.
- 8 potatoes (boiled, peeled and mashed)
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 2 big onions chopped(optional)
- A small piece of ginger chopped
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- Sprig of curry leaves hand torn
- A Tbsp of mustard seeds
- A Tbsp of urad dal(black gram dal)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying +2 tbsp
- Besan /chickpea flour- as needed
- Hing/Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp or a bit more
- Coriander leaves chopped as required
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds ..when they splutter add the urad dal,curry leaves and fry.
- Add chopped green chillies, hing, ginger and saute.
- At this stage add the haldi powder ,chopped onions(if using) and fry for a minute(do not brown the onions).
- Add the mashed potatoes and salt and mix well and keep aside to cool. Add coriander leaves.
- Prepare the batter with besan adding salt and pinch hing .
- Make small medium size balls of the potato mixture and arrange them on a plate.
- Dip the potato balls in the besan batter gently so that they are coated well with the batter on all sides and deep fry them on medium high flame until nice golden colour .
Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee .
- You can avoid onions if you do not want to add them.
- The consistency of the batter should be neither too thick nor very watery .
- You can also add pinch of turmeric to the besan batter if you like
- I have used 8 medium to big potatoes which yielded me around 22 ambados of the size shown in picture.. you can halve the recipe for smaller amounts.
- The number of ambados will depend on the number of potatoes used , its size and also the size of ambados.
One reply to “Batate Ambado”