Arbi leaves or taro leaves is used to prepare many delicacies in GSB community. Every house back in native have them in their backyards. Though its a bit difficult to get them in cities we Konkanis somehow manage to get them at least once in a year to prepare our favourite dishes. This recipe is almost forgotten now but do try it whenever you can lay your hands on these leaves as its too yummy to resist and makes an excellent side dish like the ripe mango gojju or the coriander leaves gojju.
|pathrade panna gojj|
- 2-3 arbi leaves(preferably tender)
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 4-5 red chillies roasted
- Big lemon size tamarind( or more if needed) soaked in little water
- 1/2 cup coconut
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook the arbi leaves after washing them thoroughly and removing the veins with little tamarind(optional).
- Once it is cool grind it along with coconut, red chilies ,soaked tamarind, salt and garlic to not so fine paste.
- Add water if required to get the desired consistency.
- Enjoy with meals as side dish or with dosas as accompaniment.
- You can also cook the leaves in a pan .
- You can increase or decrease the amount of tamarind depending on how tangy you want it.
- The purpose of adding tamarind while boiling is to avoid the itching, you can avoid it totally and use liberally while grinding.
- Garlic is not to be roasted and used as such.