Ghassis are very popular with konkanis. so many varieties are made ..each lentil is combined with a veggie to give a very different flavour . Here is another variety of Dhevi ghassi – as I have mentioned in an earlier post – the name is got from the dhevo ( white ) masolu ( coconut paste ) used in this ! Using Black-eyed beans / chevli / alsande /lobia and Surnu /Elephant yam – a blend of minimal spices in a coconut gravy – makes you craving for more .This makes an excellent accompaniment with rice or chapatis !
- Black eyed beans – 1 cup
- Surnu / elephant yam – chopped into cubes- 1 cup
- Dharmbya sol(malabar tamarind ) – 1 small piece ( OR use 1 large tomato )
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Red chillis – 4-5 or as per spice level
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Oil for tempering
- Soak overnight the chevli . In the morning Pressure cook the chevli , chopped surnu & sol . till soft . adding half the salt at this stage actually HELPS in cooking fast.
- Grind the grated coconut , turmeric powder& red chillies to a fine paste
- Add the paste , rest of the salt to the boiled chevli .
- Bring to a boil & let simmer for just 2 more minutes and then switch off the gas flame .
- Heat oil in the Kadai & season with the mustard , jeera & curry leaves . pour it sizzling over the ghassi!
- According to the consistency . you can have this as side dish or the main accompaniment with rice . with the consistency shown in the pic ..it is had as a side dish ..If you want to use instead of dalithoy . you can have a thinner consistency .!
You can try another variant with this – adding Kuvale / Ash gourd to this !