White Ambat with Ashgourd / Kuwale Dhanven Ambat.
- 5 Cups Ash gourd, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup Thick Curd ( alternative to Tamarind paste, see Method below )
- Salt to taste
- A little Water.
For the Paste:-
- 3/4 cup grated Coconut
- 1 Red chilly
- 3 Green chilies ( 2, if very hot)
- 1/2 teaspoon Methi seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Cook the ash gourd in a little water until done but not mushy.
- Mix the ground paste with the boiled vegetable and add enough water to make a thick gravy. Bring to boil.
- Lower the heat and stir in the beaten Curd at this point if using it in place of tamarind paste.
- Mix well briskly and turn off the heat.
- Separately heat oil, prepare the seasoning and pour over the Ambat.