Amchis use chono to make a variety of dishes -one such dish is usli. Usually black chono usli is made during auspicious days where one is forbidden to have any rice based items. This usli reminds me of Navrathri Ashtami days when my mom used to invite ladies and serve them this dish along with mixed sprouts pachadi and panak or Masala milk. Very simple recipe and not very time consuming if you have them soaked before hand.
- 1 cup Kabuli chana white or black chono- soaked and boiled with salt.( here I have used white)
- 1/4th cup scrapped fresh coconut
- Coconut oil
- 1/4th tsp Mustard seeds
- 3-4 broken red chilles
- 1/2 tsp jeera
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Pinch of hing
- Take oil in a pan let it heat up add the mustard, once it crackles add red chilly,jeera , curry leaves, hing and the boiled chick peas.
- Add half of the scrapped coconut and little water cover cook.
- After 3-4 minutes saute it and add the remaining coconut
- Yummy chana usli is ready.
You can have it with poha chutney. Or just as a snack. Enjoy!!..
This one is with Black Channa which is always made for prasad .
2 replies to “Chonya usli/upkari”