This is the most common Indian sweet.It needs no introduction as it is so popular among Indians.It is an easy to make sweets and available in all stores any time of the year.It is mainly prepared on diwali to distribute among friends and relatives. There are so many varieties of rava ladoo like adding coconut, chocolate etc. But when coconut is added, it does not stay longer. Few of them make sugar syrup, but here I’m sharing a very easy one, which I learnt from our Admin Usha Bhat akka. Even a starter can prove themselves making a perfect laddoo following this recipe.
- White Rava/Sooji: 1 cup
- Sugar:1 cup
- Ghee: 2 tbsp
- Cashews: 10
- Milk: 1 tbsp. or more
- Cardamom powder: 1tsp
- Heat a heavy bottom pan with 1 tbsp. ghee. Add cashews, raisins and fry till light brown and keep aside.
- Then add another 1 tbsp. ghee to the same pan and roast the rava for about 5-8 minutes. keep stirring as they tend to burn soon. They need not turn brown.
- Switch off gas and add the sugar & cardamom powder.( in 1 cup sugar mentioned above I powdered 3/4th and I retained 1/4th as granule) its your wish to either add the granules or powder it partially
- Alongside keep the milk in gas and boil it. Now sprinkle 1 tbsp. or more milk and mix very well. The hot milk melts the sugar and combines with rava which makes the laddoo bind perfectly.
- When it cools a little and your hand can bear the heat, take small portion of the mixture and shape in round balls. If you cant just sprinkle a tsp of hot milk or apply milk to your hands.
- This laddoo can be kept outside for a week without refrigerating. Do try making this Laddoo and enjoy sharing with your family and friends.
- Milk needs to be boiled till it reaches the boiling point otherwise the ladoos will not last for a week.
- If sugar is powdered partially, it combines well and makes easy to form the balls. While biting the ladoo you can enjoy the crunchiness of the sugar granules in between.
- If you find the ladoo mixture has turned hard after you have left it to cool – Not to worry – Just warm it by keeping on the stove for a few seconds ..you can feel it loosen up .stop flame immediately and start to make laddos.