Batat Phovu is a simple and easy dish to prepare … good for lazy morning breakfasts or as an evening snack .Do try and enjoy.
- 1 cup thick poha(beaten rice)
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 green chilly slit
- 2 medium size potatoes
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder(haldi)
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Sprig of curry leaves
- 2 tbsp of coconut grated
- Salt to taste
- 5-6 tbsp of oil
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Lemon juice as required
- 1/2 tsp sugar(optional)
- Wash the poha , soak it for few minutes ,drain and sprinkle some salt and keep aside covered.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them into thin triangles as shown in the picture and immerse them in water till use.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and add mustard seeds .when they splutter add curry leaves and jeera.
- Add slit green chilli and chopped onions and fry for a while (do not brown the onions).
- Now add the turmeric powder and the chopped potatoes and stir for a while.
- Sprinkle some salt ,few drops of water and close the lid and cook the potatoes on a low flame till they are done which will take about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add the soaked poha, coconut ,salt as required and mix well.
- At this stage add the sugar if using and check for salt and mix again .
- Switch of the flame and add lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with a cup of tea or coffee.
- Thick poha again is available in two types in some places… i.e. medium thick and thick ones… so soaking time also varies according to the poha used.
- If medium thick-just wash and drain and keep covered.
If thick then you need to soak them for few minutes as mentioned in the method above.
- You can also pressure cook the potatoes ,peel- crumble them and add after frying the onions, give a gentle mix and then proceed with the remaining method.