One of the traditional dishes of Konkanis is the Bondi ( Banana Flower) sukke ! Nowadays many don’t do this citing lack of time and even because they do not know how to proceed with this ! Here is a step by step procedure to make it ! A little pre planning to prepare the flower earlier will help you to make this dish quickly !
- Bondi / banana Flower – 1 (try to get as fresh as you can )
- Grated coconut – 1 cup and a little more if preferred
- Tur dal – 2 tbsps
- Tamarind – a gooseberry size
- Red chilies – 6-7 as per taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds & oil for seasoning
- Remove the outer covers of the bondi till you come to the yellow part as seen in the picture below . Side by side keep collecting the flowers
- Now from each flower , Remove the thick pistil as shown ..
- Remember to remove this as otherwise this part remains uncooked and will be a irritant while eating . the removed pistils are in the pic below . this job can be done while you are chatting or while watching Television
- Now chop finely the bondi & the flowers
- Keep dropping the chopped pieces in water so that they do not discolour
- Drain the water after rinsing well
- Heat a kadai & add about 2 tbsps of oil . Splutter mustard seeds & add washed tur dal . Add a little water, turmeric powder & salt to taste & let cook
- Cover and cook till it is half done .
- Meanwhile the dal is cooking . grind coarsely the coconut , red chilles & tamarind
- When the dal is half cooked , add the chopped bondi & the coconut paste
- Mix well .Cover and cook on medium fire .
- Adjust for salt Add a litlle more oil at this stage & let it roast on slow fire .
- Bondi Sukke is ready to be relished with rice and dalithoy !DO try this out so that you don’t miss out on a very healthy , nutrients enriched & very very tasty side dish
A simple amchi meal of sheeth sambhar bondi sukke and karmbal pudigallele.