Raw Tomato Buthi/saungh is a little spicy side dish with coconut and onion gravy in it.It is a bit different from other saungh which we prepare.Normally buthi is prepared along with some cooked toordal in it.Here we use raw coriander seeds while grinding the masala,which gives a unique flavour. When the tomatoes are very cheap in market select few green tomatoes along with ripe tomatoes,so that you can try this tasty tangy spicy mixed flavoured side dish.
- Raw tomatoes: 5-6 nos
- Onion: 1-2 medium size
- Salt: to taste
For the Masala:
- Coconut: 1/2 cup grated
- Red chillies: 5 to 6 nos (can adjust according to ur taste)
- Raw coriander seeds
- Mustard: 1tsp
- Methi seeds: 1 tsp
- Oil: 1-2 tsp
Grind the coconut with the red chillies and raw coriander seeds to a coarse paste with little water.
- In a kadai add oil and season with mustard and methi.
- When the mustard starts to splutter add the onions and fry till soft.
- Add tomatoes,salt and saute again for few seconds.
- Now add the ground masala and water used to wash your ground masala in the mixer.
- Close lid and cook on medium flame till the tomatoes are cooked but not mushy.
- Open the lid and give a stir close and cook till the water is evaporated and the oil leaves the side of the kadai.
- Now your buthi/saungh is ready to be served with rice/rotis etc.
- If you like to have it with a little gravy you can retain the water.
- Instead of tomato you can substitute with boiled and chopped (into squares) potatoes .In that case u need to add a small piece of tamarind to the masala while grinding.