This is a super tasty and very popular dish of Amchi Kodial. When we see Vali in the market we start to smack our lips remembering the taste of this ambat. Though there are many dishes which can be made of “Vali” the first preference of any family, goes to this dish. It is true that this dish is very popular in Mangalore side but never used to prepare it on auspicious days.
- Vali (Malabar Spinach) – 1 bunch
- Tur dal – ½ cup
- Roasted red chilly – 8 (Ramnad)
- Grated Coconut. – ½ coconut
- Onion – 2 Big.
- Tamarind – 1 small goose berry size.
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Wash, chop all vali leaves and tender stem (15 pieces of 3 inches length).
- Pressure cook washed tur dal with vali stem pieces.
- Grind a masala of the grated coconut, red chilly, tamarind and salt to a fine paste.
- Chop one onion to fine pieces and other one to little bigger size.
- In a pan cook vali leaves, big size onion pieces with cooked turdal covering a lid.
- When it is half cooked add ground masala and water if required.
- Mix well and cook, till it is done to a medium thick consistency.
- Roast finely chopped onion to golden brown and season it.
Valee Ambat is ready serve with hot rice as main dish.
Do not throw away the excess vali stem. It can be used as a tasty combo with whole grain ghashi., koddel etc . (mainly with horse gram).
2 replies to “Valee Ambat”
Its very tasty recipe. Thanks for sharing with readers.