Unlike the Solkadi or the Buttermilk Kadi, which can also be served as a drink, this is used as an accompaniment with rice.T his is a very simple dish to make and healthy too with the addition of cumin seeds (jeere) and pepper corns (meere ) and hence the name Jeere-Meere Kadi.
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 4-5 red chillies
- Small piece of tamarind
- 1/2 tbsp of cumin seeds (jeera)
- 8-10 pepper corns
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- Oil for seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Roast the red chillies and keep aside.
- Roast the cumin seeds and the pepper corns in few drops of oil/ghee or simply dry roast them.
- Grind coconut with the roasted ingredients and tamarind to a very smooth paste adding sufficient water.
- Remove to a vessel and add water so as to get a thin consistency like that of rasam or saaru.
- Boil it adding salt for few minutes.
- Switch off the flame after a few boils as boiling it too much will make it appear like curdled.
- Roast the garlics in oil after slightly crushing them till golden and pour this over the kadi
Serve with steaming rice for lunch or dinner.