- 2 tomatoes (blanched and peeled)
- Tbsp of urad dal (black gram dal)
- Tsp of cumin seeds(jeera )
- Tsp of coriander seeds( kothambari)
- 7-8 pepper corns
- Few fenugreek seeds(methi)
- Small piece of asafoetida(hing)
- 2-3 red chillies
- Small piece of tamarind
- Handful of chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Oil for seasoning
- Sprig of curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Roast the red chillies & keep aside
|ingredients to be roasted(except tomatoes)|
2. Roast the Coriander seeds, black gram dal, cumin seeds, pepper corns ,methi seeds and hing together till they are light golden and cool.
3. Chop the blanched tomatoes roughly .
4. Grind all the roasted ingredients to coarse powder and then add the chopped tomatoes and tamarind and grind to a smooth paste adding water
- Blanching the tomatoes means to drop the tomatoes in boiling water ,boil for 2-3 minutes ,remove from flame and close the lid. Once its cool enough to handle ,remove from water and peel the skin and use as required.
- Don’t throw the water used for blanching as it has many nutrients,use this water for preparing the saaru .