Saaru is very common in South India and its no different in a Konkani household.We prepare many types of Saaru but the most favourite is the one with tomatoes. Most of the saarus have coconut in them but this recipe is bit different without the use of coconuts. It is easy to prepare with few ingredients ,so do try this and enjoy .
- 2 tomatoes (blanched and peeled)
- Tbsp of urad dal (black gram dal)
- Tsp of cumin seeds(jeera )
- Tsp of coriander seeds( kothambari)
- 7-8 pepper corns
- Few fenugreek seeds(methi)
- Small piece of asafoetida(hing)
- 2-3 red chillies
- Small piece of tamarind
- Handful of chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Oil for seasoning
- Sprig of curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Roast the red chillies & keep aside
|ingredients to be roasted(except tomatoes)|
2. Roast the Coriander seeds, black gram dal, cumin seeds, pepper corns ,methi seeds and hing together till they are light golden and cool.
3. Chop the blanched tomatoes roughly .
4. Grind all the roasted ingredients to coarse powder and then add the chopped tomatoes and tamarind and grind to a smooth paste adding water
Serve piping hot with rice .
- Blanching the tomatoes means to drop the tomatoes in boiling water ,boil for 2-3 minutes ,remove from flame and close the lid. Once its cool enough to handle ,remove from water and peel the skin and use as required.
- Don’t throw the water used for blanching as it has many nutrients,use this water for preparing the saaru .