I decided to make daali ambat with the fresh green leaves and it was a very tasty accompaniment with rice. This is what we require to make the ambat.
- 6 to 7 cups of cleaned and finely chopped spinach leaves
- 3/4th cup of toor dal
- 2 medium sized onions
- 3 to 4 dried red roasted chillies
- Tamarind, a small marble sized lump
- 3/4th cup of grated fresh coconut
- Salt to taste
- For the tempering:
1. Two tsp of oil
2. Half of a small onion
|palaka daali ambat|
- Clean and wash the dal and pressure cook it till done.
- Finely chop the onions and add it to the shredded palak leaves and pressure cook for one whistle.
- Grind the coconut gratings with the dried roasted chillies and the tamarind to a smooth paste.
- Mix the cooked palak leaves with the boiled and mashed dal and add the ground coconut masol and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Add salt to taste.
- For the tempering heat oil,add finely chopped onion and saute till it is golden brown. Add it to the ambat. Delicious ambat is ready.
Note: Please keep in mind that this is a very surboos (not very spicy) tasting dish.so please use chillies accordingly.Cooked dal provides the thickness to the gravy.