Bittergourd pickle ( karathe nonche )
Bitter gourd is one such vegetable which most people dislike.But please try this traditional Konkani food recipe which will definitely make you a bitter gourd fan. This is very good as a combo with idlis , polos etc.
- Bittergourd – 1 large sized
- Dried whole red chillies – 15 to 20
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) – 1 tsp
- Tamarind – a small lemon sized
- Chop the bitter gourd very finely and apply salt to it .
- Keep it for some half an hour and later squeeze the bitter juice out of it and then deep fry till they turn crisp and brown.
- Fry the red chillies in little oil and remove it from the oil and keep it aside
- In the same oil fry the mustard and hing till the mustard splutters.
- Grind the red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste.
- Lastly add the fried mustard and hing to it and give one quick round inthe mixer.
- Now boil this paste adding sufficient water to make the consistency thin .
- Turn off when it boils and give a tempering of mustard and curry leaves.
- Let the gravy cool a little bit, and then only add the fried bittergourd pieces to it.
- Mix well .It can be served after some 4 or 5 hours..
- Take care to check for salt first and add only if required as we have already added salt to d bitter gourd while frying.
Note:- Here instead of using fresh bitter gourd , I have used the sun dried bitter gourd…I deep fried them and followed the same procedure.