Jackfruit is a delicacy in Amchi cooking be it savory, sweet or curries it is used in every possible way. Raw, fruit, seeds, Leaves all are used in one way or the other in Konkani cuisines many recipes using the above can be found here. One recipe which I would like to share is Ponsa / Jackfruit Mulik. Mulik is used as a snack and kids, adults love it.
- Jackfruit – 15-20 bulbs
- Rava – 1 & half cups
- Coconut – 1/4th cup grated
- Jaggery as per taste or 1/2 cup
- Rice flour – 2-3 tsp
- Cardamom powder – 1/4th tsp
- Oil to deep fry
- Remove the seeds from the Jack fruit and reserve them for curries if interested.
- Grind the jack fruit bulbs to a paste without adding water, add the grated coconut and jaggery.
- Transfer it in to bowl and add the rava, cardamom powder and rice flour.
- Keep the oil for heating, ensuring the oil is not too hot…
- Make lemon sized balls of the above batter and drop in moderately hot oil 10-15 at a time
- Turn over when the color changes.
- Keep a close watch on temperature of oil. If the oil is too hot then the outer covering of the mulik will be brown/black very soon and inside will not be cooked.
Remove on tissue and store. Enjoy this snack…!!!.