Panchagadayi as the name suggests has five main ingredients – broken wheat , Moong dal , Chana dal , jaggery & coconut , This is to be especially prepared on Janmashtami and given as prasad! this is mainly made by the Kochi side GSBs. Hope for this Janmashtami you will surely make this & enjoy with family & friends !!!!!
- Broken wheat ( Dalia , gova konu)- 1 cup
- Moong dal – 1/2 cup
- Chana dal – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 1 & half cups or as per taste
- Coconut – 1 large
- Cashews – 10-15
- Cardamom – 1 tsp powder
- Ghee for frying cashews
- Grate the coconut and extract the first thick milk; ( about half a cup ) .keep aside .
- Extract the second & third milks too .Make atleast 3 cups of milk
- Lightly roast the dals till aromatic .
- Wash the dals & gova konu & pressure cook them together using the thin coconut milks . (don’t use water here – use enough of the coconut milk only for cooking )
- Melt the jaggery completely in 1/4 cup water by heating . strain the liquid to remove the impurities . If your jaggery is impurity free , you may avoid this step Just grate the jaggery before adding.
- To the cooked dal & gova konu add the liquid jaggery
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for some more time until the dals have blended well with the jaggery .
- Now add the first coconut milk , switch off flame when it starts to boil .
- Fry the cashews in ghee & add it to the payasu/ kheer
- Consistency is according to how you like it . remember this always tends to thicken when cooled.
- Add the powdered cardamom , stir well . your Panchagadayi is ready to be served !
Enjoy hot or cold . In fact the taste develops the next day . so refrigerate and use !
4 replies to “Panchagadayi”
Very tasty recipe will try soon
Yes ! Please do !