Amchi Kochi has an important celebration, when they see the first tooth of their baby and that function is known as “danthumbar”. For that function they invite their dear friends and relatives. In that occasion a special dish called “danthumbari” is prepared and served with kathlekudko(coconut pieces) to those invitees. (Danthu ailele cherdak devakudanthu madhye humbara laggi manayeri bosunu “danthuumbari anik kathle kudko” dovornu arthi dakovche kramu assa). Let’s see the recipe for this special Konkani food
- Boiled Rice – 1½ cup ( eight hours soaked)
- Ripe banana – 8.
- Jaggery grated – 5 tbsp.
- Salt a pinch.
- Oil for deep frying
- Coconut – 1 small
- Cut coconut into small pieces and keep aside.
- Care is taken to cut the pieces beautifully to look like a child’s small teeth
- Grind boiled rice using very little water.
- When it is half ground add jaggery and pinch of salt.
- Again grind to a fine thick paste.
- Peel and mash the bananas and add to the ground batter.
- Mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying.
- Take little batter and make roughly a round shape of goose berry size.
- Gently slide it into the hot oil.
- Deep fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Danthumbari is ready and serve with kathlekudko (coconut pieces)
- While grinding use only very little water.
In olden days when grinder was not there..ragadari vattithana they use to put more water. and they used to drain excess water from the batter by “avgalanthu bandun dovornu” (keeping tied in a cloth bundle ). But we need not do it now thanks to grinder.
Put soaked boiled rice in the grinder. switch on. slowly you add water and stop doing so when your grinder works freely.