Vaghu means tiger in Konkani. . You must be surprised hearing this name to a curry ..but probably no one knows how this dish got its name.This curry is very spicy and fiery so may be that’s why its named as Vaghu. . This is mainly a side dish and prepared on various functions too in South Canara as it is a’ No Onion-No Garlic dish .Basically made very spicy but the spiciness can be adjusted as per our taste and this is how I do it at home keeping in mind the kids too.
- 1/4 cup green peas(soaked overnight)
- 2 medium size potatoes(peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets(soaked in salt water and washed thoroughly)
- 1 tomato chopped
- A tbsp of oil
- Sprig of curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
For the paste:
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 4 red chillies
- Small marble size tamarind
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds (kothambai)
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds (sasam)
- Few methi seeds (fenugreek)
- Small piece of hing/1/4 tsp of hing powder (asafoetida)
2. Roast the red chillies and keep aside.
3. In the same pan roast the coriander seeds,mustard seeds,methi seeds and hing and allow to cool.
4. Grind these along with coconut and tamarind to a smooth paste as shown below
5. Heat oil in a kadhai and add mustard seeds..when they splutter add curry leaves.
6. Then the ground paste and stir fry for a while adding chopped tomatoes .
7. Now add the cooked cauli florets,peas and potatoes in the kadhai and mix well .
8. Add water and salt and simmer with lid closed for 5- 10 minutes.
9. Delicious vaghu is ready to be enjoyed as a side dish.
This goes well with chapatties .The best combo is sheeth,(rice)daali(konkani dal) and the spicy vaghu. :)😋😋🐅🐅
- You can use only potatoes ,or peas and potatoes combo.
- For more spicier version increase the amount of red chillies and use very minimal amount of coconut for the paste.
3 replies to “Batate Vaghu”
This truly is a new version for me since at weddings in Mangalore, batate vaghu is commonly prepared with only potatoes. Interesting change.
Thanks Neeta mai..I have tasted both the versions and loved the mixed one more.