Hinga Mirsanga – Asafoetida chilli Pickle
- 1 Vati heaped tender green chilies ( long variety)
- Juice of 4 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon hing powder ( mild) or 1/4 tsp compound Hing…fry in a drop of oil.
- 1/8 tsp Methi seed….add to fried hing and roast till they turn deep colour
- 1& half tablespoons Mustard seeds ….add to hing and fry till each seed splutters
- 3/4 tablespoon powdered Salt.
- Wash the chillies and remove the stalks. Wipe dry and slit the lengthwise or cut into 2″ pieces.
- I have cut them into 2″ pieces here. Fry these pieces in very little oil till their green colour changes.
- Sprinkle little salt and set aside to cool.
- Grind the fried spices to a fine powder. ( methi,hing and mustard seeds with salt. )
- Mix the fried chillies with the spice powder and add lime juice.Mix well and store in a dry container.
- Use after about 10-15 days….
Recipe appears in “The Konkani Saraswat Cookbook on Pages 194 in First Edition and Page 204 in Second Edition.