This is a very simple dish loved by many. Each house celebrate the arrival of kadgi/gidgi season by preparing this Upkari. This upkari is usually prepared using very tender Jack fruit.
- ½ of a small Tender Jack fruit
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Mustard seed 1 tsp
- Chilli flakes 1 tsp
- Haldi Powder ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste.
Kadge/ Gidge Upkari
- Peel and wash the tender jack fruit and chop it into 1” length small thin pieces.(2 Cups)
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds. When it splutters add chilli flakes and sauté.
- Now add tender jack fruit pieces and haldi powder. Mix well
- Add water. Cook it in a low flame covering a lid.
- When the pieces are cooked add salt.
- Now sauté and cook it in a high flame to dry up the remaining water.
- Switch off the gas and pour little oil over it and mix well.
Kadge/ Gidge Upkari is ready to serve with hot rice as a side dish.
- You can also add hing powder, curry leaves & grated coconut and is optional.