Adsara means tender coconut . This Adsara undi (steamed cake ) is made as a breakfast or snack ,this is usually accompanied with the very favourite of all GSB’s – Dalithoy. Any hummann or edigai too goes well with this.
- Raw rice -1 and 1/2cups – soaked for at least 3-4 hours.
- Boiled rice – 1/2 cup ( can skip this and use raw rice only )
- Grated coconut – 1 cup tightly packed- must be “torno” or jeevo narlu …can add more if you want .(Check Notes )
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Grind the soaked rice & coconut to a thick coarse paste adding as little water as possible.
- Add the jeera & salt. Mix well .
- Grease a vessel with oil & pour the batter into it.
- Steam this in a steamer /pedavan for about 15 minutes .
- Demould when a little cool & cut pieces .
Serve with a dish of your choice
- you HAVE to use torno / jeevo narlu for this – whose flesh will be very soft – even better is to use shiyale / tender coconut ..you may use more coconut if you want than suggested – for cottony texture .
- For a sweet version of this . add sugar to the batter before steaming .
- If you prefer polos instead of undis – grind the batter to a smooth paste and use for making polos .
- You can make the batter the previous evening & refrigerate to use the next day morning ..this gives very soft undis .