Ambat is a coconut based curry which is mainly used as an accompaniment to rice. Most of the Konkani curries are coconut based ones with the basic ingredients coconut,red chillies and tamarind / Bimbul / Karmbal to make the paste. What makes each dish different from other is the use of different vegetables and pulses and their combinations and the seasonings used . Ambat usually is prepared using tur dal and one vegetable combo but sometimes turdal is replaced by the coloured cucumber (magge in konkani) like Green Peas Ambat. Today I am sharing my recipe of Cabbage Ambat.
- 1/2 -3/4 cup of chopped cabbage
- Handful of turdal(washed and drained)
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp of oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 medium size onions finely chopped
For the paste(masolu):
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 4-5 red chillies roasted
- Small marble sized tamarind
- Take the cabbage ,turdal and roughly chopped onion in a vessel, add some water and pressure cook the veggies for 3-4 whistle or till the dal is well cooked.
- Grind coconut ,red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste using water as required .
- Once the pressure releases, remove the cooked dal and veggies to a vessel and mash the dal well (the veggies will remain as it is ).
- Add the ground paste to the vessel ,along with some water and salt and boil it well for 5-7 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the finely chopped onions to golden brown(refer the green peas ambat post mentioned above for this
Pour this seasoning over the curry and close the lid,till it is ready to be served.
- Enjoy with rice as an accompaniment .
- Ambats are not so spicy curry..so use red chillies accordingly depending upon their spice levels.
- Consistency of the curry should be neither too thick nor too thin .
2 replies to “Cabbage-Dali Ambat”