Ghosale i.e ridgegourd as we all know is a very healthy vegetable with lots of fibre.Today am sharing the recipe of one of my favourite curry with ridge gourd i.e ambat.Ambat is a coconut based gravy dish used as an accompaniment to rice usually not made spicy.You can also check other recipes of ambat with vegetables Radish/Mulangi , Cabbage, tender peas/jeev batani and tendle/ivy gourd . .
|Ridge gourd ambat|
- 2 tender ridgegourds
- 1-2 medium sized potatoes peeled and cubed(optional)
- Handful of toor dal
- 3/4 cup of coconut
- 3-4 red chillies roasted
- marble sized tamarind
- Tbsp or two of oil
- 1-2 onions finely chopped
- Salt to taste
Lightly scrape or peel the ridge gourds ,chop them and cook in a vessel with water and salt till done.
- Pressure cook the toor dal and potatoes till cooked.
- Grind coconut ,red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste using water as required
- Combine the toordal ,potatoes and cooked ridge gourd in a vessel.
- Add the ground paste to this vessel and mix well adding salt and required amount of water as per desired consistency.
- The consistency should be medium thick
- The curry is usually not spicy so adjust chillies depending upon their spiciness.
- Potatoes are optional and adding one or two gives a good volume to the dish
- The dish can also be seasoned with mustard and curry leaves and prepared on auspicious or religious days too .