Radish is a vegetable which is not so popular among we Konkanis.It is known as mooli in hindi and mulangi in konkani and kannada.Due to its pungent smell and taste it is rarely liked by people.. kids and adults alike.My mother knowing its health benefits used to serve us by preparing some very tasty recipes one of them being tava fries.Do try it and am sure you will love it too just as we did as kids.Today I am sharing one more delicious recipe of radish learnt from amma and has been my favourite.
- 2 medium sized tender radish with leaves chopped finely
- 1 onion chopped into chunks(for boiling)
- 5-6 red chillies roasted
- 3/4 -1 cup of coconut
- Tsp of coriander seeds roasted
- Pinch turmeric powder
- Marble sized tamarind
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup of tur dal
- 2 onions chopped(for seasoning)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. of cooking oil
- Pressure cook the chopped radish along with the leaves and onion chunks with wee bit of salt for 1 whistle .
- Pressure cook toor dal till nicely done. mash and keep aside .
- Grind coconut ,roasted red chillies, tamarind ,roasted coriander seeds and pinch turmeric powder to a smooth paste .
- Add the cooked mulangi/radish to the mashed dal. add the ground paste and mix well.
- Add salt ,a cup of water and gently boil for 5-8 minutes.
- Heat oil and roast the finely chopped onion till brown and pour this over the ambat.
- Keep the vessel closed till it is served .
Delicious mulangi ambat is ready to be relished with rice .
- Ambat is usually not too spicy .
- The consistency should be neither too thick nor too thin.
3 replies to “Mulangi Ambat / Radish ambat”
Thanku Sandhya Akka for yummy fantastic recipe.. Loved d onion tadka aroma and taste..:) ❤
thanks soumya for trying and the feedback.