Shevayi is an all time favourite of all GSB’s . and that is the only reason that however laborious and tedious procedure it may be .We never forget to prepare it once in a while. Shevayi has got so many versions depending on the ingredients . Shevayi can be had with so many side dishes like in the pic below . Here I am drafting a recipe which I learnt from my grandmother . Shevayi with a combination of boiled rice, raw rice and coconut…So here goes the recipe ..
- Raw rice – 1 & half cups
- Boiled rice – 1 & half cups..
- Grated coconut – 1 large coconut ( approx.2 and half cups)
- Soak both the rice together for 7 to 8 hours
- Keep ready the grated coconut
- Grind all to a smooth nice batter adding water..
- Now add required amount of salt to the batter and mix well..
- Take a thick bottomed pan and pour the batter into this ..
- Cook stirring continuously ..
- Stir until the batter leaves the sides of the pan and forms a mass .
- Now make balls from this dough.
- They will look like this
- Steam these balls in a steamer for almost 40 to 45 mins.
- You can check it with a tooth pick if they are perfectly cooked.
- Now as soon as its done…remove it from the heat and start making the shevayis
- Put each ball in the shevayi mould and squueze it to get superb flavourful shevyies…
- Enjoy with any side dishes. Traditionally this had with coconut oil , mango pickle. or sweetened coconut milk. You can also enjoy with sambar, chana curry or even kerala style stew .