Winters are the time when we get plenty of fresh vegetables and Tender Green Peas is one among them. Though we get the frozen ones all year round I always look forward to this season so that I can stock up the fresh green peas and prepare my favourite dishes. Ambat is the first thing that comes to my mind and is a family favourite. Most of the Ambats are prepared using toor dal but here I am using green peas and coloured cucumber(madras cucumber/magge). Same recipe can be used to prepare ambat with tender toor/tuvar(jeevi tori).
- Handful of green peas
- 1/2 cup of coloured cucumber(magge) chopped into medium size pieces without skin
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 4-5 red chillies roasted
- Small lemon sized tamarind
- 1 onion cut into chunks
- Salt to taste
- Tbsp of oil
- 2 medium onions chopped finely
- Pressure cook the tender green peas and the coloured cucumber pieces with onion chunks adding a pinch of salt for 2 whistles .
2. Grind coconut, red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste as shown below.
3. Once the pressure is released remove the boiled veggies to a big vessel and add the ground paste to it.
4. Add water and salt and boil it well for some 5-10 minutes adjusting the consistency as you prefer.
- Heat oil in the pan and fry onions till golden as shown in the picture below.
- Pour this seasoning over the curry and close the lid .
- Enjoy as a side dish or as an accompaniment to rice.
- Add water depending upon how you want the curry, the above picture is of medium consistency and can be used as an accompaniment to rice .
- Here’s a picture of ambat prepared with tender tuvar/jeev tori using the same method., just substitute peas with tender toor/tuvar/tori.