Phovu is called by various names as – Flattened rice , Rice flakes , beaten rice etc . For this upkari we need white phovu of the thin variety (also known as nylon phovu)Ingredients;
- Phovu – 250 gms
- Chana dal – 100 gms
- groundnuts – 100 gms
- Kerala pappad – 10 nos of the normal size
- Green Chillies – 10 or as per taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Jeera – 2 tsps
- Mustard seeds -2 tsps
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Oil – to fry & for seasoning
Soak the chana dal for about 5 hours . Drain & set aside for the water to drain off completely
- If you want – you can also make sev & add too . Potato can be cut into thin strands ,fried & added too . Also dried green peas can be soaked , drained & deep fried to add to this
- Now the frying part is over .
- Heat a kadai & roast the phovu in small batches over medium flame.
Roast till the phovu has turned crisp to touch . Care should be taken not to burn the phovu .Keep aside .
When the seasoning has cooled a bit , add the turmeric powder & salt . mix well .
In a large open dry vessel , add the phovu & the seasoning & mix well gently so as not to crush the phovu..
Add the fried items & mix again by tossing or mixing gently
Enjoy as an anytime snack .Serve to family, relatives & friends and see them enjoy too !
Care should be taken to use dry vessels only while making this snack.
You can do this in stages , the frying part can be done at a time . then the roasting and finally the seasoning at different times according to your leisure .