MAGGE (YELLOW CUCUMBER ) KODDEL
Koddel are main course curries with coconut gravy and garlic seasoning mainly prepared by Mangalore side GSB people. We can prepare the koddel using the dry beans varieties or using the vegetables like yellow cucumber , half ripe papaya , etc. Magge koddel is the koddel which is liked by most .
1. Yellow cucumber cut in bit large squares (unpeeled ) – 2 cups
2. Grated coconut – 1 & 1/2 cups
3. Dried red whole chillies – 8 to 10
4. Tamarind – marble sized
5. Garlic cloves – 10 to 15
- Cook the cucumber adding required amount of water and salt.
- Fry the red chillies in little oil.
- Grind the coconut ,red chillies and tamarind to a fine paste adding water.
- Add this to the cooked cucumber pieces.
- Add water if required,,the consistency should be neither thick nor too thin.
- Mix well and let it boil nicely.
- Turn off when it is done.
- Now in a separate pan heat around 2 teasp of oil n add garlic cloves to it.
- Fry till they turn reddish in low flame.
- Pour this tadka over the koddel.
Magge Koddel is ready to serve
You can also add 2 drumsticks along with the cucumber- as it enhances the taste.