Vaingana Phodo is a very traditional recipe of the Cochin GSBs. this calls for a special pitto / powder called Bhajja Pitto ! . This powder can be made & stored in advance & used whenever needed. You can use this to make a similar dish with brined ambullis / tender mangoes.Ingredients for the Bajja Pitto;
- Urad dal – 100 gms
- Coriander seeds / kothambari – 100 gms
- Red chillies – 5-6
- Roast the urad dal to a golden brown .
- Roast the coriander & the chillies . let cool.
- When they have cooled , powder them in a mixer to a somewhat coarse powder . Do not powder it finely .
- Store in a dry container . remember not to add too many red chillies in this powder , because you will be using green chillies too in the phodo .
Ingredients for the Phodo
- Brinjals – any type – choose fresh ones – washed & chopped – 2 cups
- Green chillies – 5-6 slit
- Bajja Pitto – 2 tbsps ( or more as per taste )
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 2tbsps & mustard seeds for tempering
- Cut the brinjal into long pieces & slit green chillies
- Add salt and keep for about half an hour .
- Heat kadai with oil . add mustard seeds & add the salted brinjals , turmeric powder and a little water to cook .
- When the brinjals are three fourths cooked add the bajja pitto, mix well , cover and let cook on simmer for another five minutes
- After five minutes add a little hing powder (optional ) & mix well .pour a tbsp of oil & mix well . Check for salt .after another minute .Switch off flame . Bajja pitto gallelle upkari is ready!
The same way we can prepare with brined tender mangoes / amboolis . I have even done this with capsicum which gave an awesome taste .