Khichadi is one of the traditional sweets prepared by GSB community during the special occassion of Pushya Mahina (month) . A sweet prepared using raw rice and mung dal adding lots of jaggery is relished by all. The banana toppings make the khichadi attractive and tasty .
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Mung dal – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1/2 kg
- Coconut – 3 cups
- Ghee – 1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Pressure cook dal and rice together till they are soft.
- Now make jaggery syrup and strain if wanted .
- Now add grated coconut and stir continuously for 5 to 7 minutes
- Add cooked rice and dal mix to the jaggery
- Stir continuously adding ghee in between for around 20 mins.
- Stir until it leaves the sides of the kadayi.
- Add cardamom powder .
- Keep ready a greased thali (rub little ghee inside the thali) ..
- Now pour the mixture to the thali and spread evenly with the backside of the spatula.
- Garnish with chopped small bananas as it is the traditional way of presenting and serving “khichadi “
- Let cool . then cut in desired shapes,.
Enjoy a lovely dish!