Sukke is a semi dry type of dish used as a side dish.Sukke can be prepared in many combos like the one I have posted here with potato,drumsticks etc and also with Kooka/sapur kooka which has mustard seasoning.Kadgi(raw jackfruit) and Vaali(malabar spinach/indian spinach) is a rare combo and has garlic seasoning.This is my mamama’s (maternal grandmother) recipe and tastes very yummy .
- 1 cup of chopped raw jackfruit/kadgi
- 1 bunch of vaali/malabar spinach washed and chopped
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 4-5 red chillies roasted
- 1 tbsp of coriander seeds(kothambari) roasted
- 1/2 tbsp of urad dal (black gram dal) roasted
- Marble sized tamarind
- Salt to taste
- 7-8 garlic flakes crushed
- Oil around a tbsp
Pressure cook the chopped kadgi and vaali leaves for 2-3 whistles or till nicely cooked adding a bit of salt.
Heat oil in a pan and add the crushed garlics to the pan and fry till they are light golden in colour
Grind coconut,red chillies,tamarind ,urad dal and coriander seeds to not so fine paste (just previous stage of a fine paste ) using as much water as required(You can refer here for the paste ).Add this paste to the pan and stir nicely .
Once the paste/masolu starts boiling or a few bubbles starts to appear add the boiled veggies
Add salt and required amount of water and mix well so that everything comes together.
Close the lid and simmer on low flame for 7-8 minutes .
The curry is ready to be served as a side dish .
- We like to have this in bit gravy form so I added bit more water while grinding and also while boiling ..if you want it more dry add less water.
- This curry is usually not so spicy.
- You can also add a wee bit of jaggery to the sukke as it is usually added,only in this combo I have avoided it.
- The urad dal and coriander seeds are roasted together.
- You can use very tender jack or jack with few seeds .