Hi friends today I am here with a new recipe prepared with Ash gourd (kuvale) peel. Actually, while most of the people throw away the peels of the veggies , we konkani’s make most use of the peels too and try to make best from the waste. Here is a simple yet tasty stir fry recipe for you.
- Ash gourd peel – 4-5 nos
- Potato – 1 no
- Coconut gratings- 1 tsbp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard – 1tsp
- Dry red chillies- 2-3
5. Heat Oil in a pan when hot splutter mustard and add bits of red chillies.
6. Add the chopped peel of ash gourd and chopped potato into it.
7. Add salt and water to cook. Close lid and cook till done and water evaporates.
8. Now add grated coconut and stir for two more minutes. Upkari is ready to serve.
9. This can be had as a side dish with rice.
1 . Similar saali upkari can be prepared with Bottle gourd ( ghar dudde) and potato combination.
2. Plantain peel alone can also be used for upkari ,
3.For mixed veggie peel you can add peels of nendraballe banana ,pumpkin, ash gourd, bread fruit etc and follow the same method.
4.If you have Jackfruit Seeds during the season, instead of potato those seeds chopped into strips can be used.