Urad -rava idlies are usually prepared on auspicious days when you are not supposed to include rice in yoour meals . My bappamma always prepared this during the festival -“Vinayak Chathurthi ” . We love it so much that we prepare it frequently . Its an easy idli recipe which requires no fermentation.
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Rava (bombay rava ) – 2 and half cups ( same measuring cup for the rava & urad)
- Ginger – 1” piece chopped
- Green chillies – 3 to 4
- Soak urad dal in water for almost 4 hours .
- Now grind it to a smooth fluffy batter like we do for normal idlies.
- Soak rava in some water . (You can take the water which you used to wash the grinder after grinding urad dal) for 15 minutes.
- Now mix it with the urad dal batter.
- Add chopped ginger and green chillies.
- Add salt ,mix well and you can immediately prepare the idlies .
- Steam for about 15 to 20 minutes .
- Its ready.
- We usually prefer coconut chutney or sambar or spicy surna nonche..
1. If you prefer ,you can also roast the rava in low flame for around some 5 minutes or till the nice aroma comes.
2. If you are using roasted rava available in the markets then you can avoid the first note.
3. Those who don’t like to bite into the ginger and green chillies , can add them along with urad dal while grinding.
4. Remember that this requires no fermentation and hence you can soak the urad dal overnight and grind in the morning.
11 replies to “Urad – Rava Idli”
Hello,Presuming when u say rava, it is wheat rava or upma rava.Tks
its is Bombay rava – the one usually used to make upma!
thank u so much for this instant version of rava idli priya.we loved it
Nice idli recipe…Could prepare it instantly..had it for dinner. Taste was awesome.. Next day same batter I used for making dosas.That too came out good. thank you for the yummy recipe.
Will the idlis taste good without fermentation. And won't it make them hard?
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eno or soda is required?? Or we can avoid putting them
Yes ! They will taste good and will be soft
No need of Soda or Eno