Bhutti is a typical South Canara(Udupi-Mangalore) dish which goes well as a side dish.This dish can be prepared with many vegetables and tastes very yummy.Here I am sharing my recipe with Cabbage.
- 1 cup of cabbage chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 4-5 red chillies roasted
- 1 tbsp of coriander seeds
- 2 medium sized onions chopped
- Small piece of tamarind
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp of oil
Heat oil in a kadhai and fry the chopped onions till they are translucent.
Once the onions are translucent,add the chopped cabbage and saute for a while…then close the lid and cook sprinking some water in between.
Mean while grind coconut,red chillies, tamarind and coriander seeds to not so fine paste using as little water as possible.
When the cabbages are cooked ,add the ground paste and salt
Mix well so that everything comes together,,,and simmer for few more minutes till the cabbage is cooked and evenly coated with the masolu(ground paste ).
The bhutti is now ready to be served along with meals ..It also goes well with chapattis and good for packing lunch boxes as it is kind of dry curry.
- Do not add water while making the curry … it tastes best when dry.
- The coriander seeds should not be roasted.
- The same recipe can also be used for making cauliflower bhutti,jeev kadgi(bread fruit) bhutti,tendle bhutti.