Here is a popular instant spicy side dish for idlis . dosas , upma , rice etc . This is made with Jackfruit seeds (bikkand ) , Starfruit (Dharan Karmbal ) & Turkey berry (chunde phal ). You may also use Bimbul / Birmi karmbal instead of starfruit.
- Jackfruit seeds – 5-6
- Starfruit (karmbal )- 7 or 8
- Turkey berry – 10 – 12
- Chilli Powder – 1 tbsp – less or more as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Methi seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Remove the skin of the jackfruit seeds . then slice thinly .Apply a little salt & keep aside
- Cut the Karmbal into roundels .
- Halve the chunde phal .apply little salt to this & the karmabal & keep aside ;
- Heat oil in a kadai & splutter mustard seeds . Then add the urad & methi seeds ..when they turn brown. add the chilli powder & hing and saute . Take care not to burn it , If you are using roasted & powdered chilli powder no need to saute .
- Add the bikkand & a little water . Cover & allow to cook .
- When it has softened add the Karmbal & chundephal & some more water . cover and cook till all the veggies have softened & oil starts to float!.
- Check for salt & switch off!
Enjoy this spicy dish with a hot breakfast or rice !
You can also add (any or all) mande ( colcassia ) pieces , potato , a small piece of bitter gourd too to this .
Here is one other type of humman – Mande with chundephal .. done following same recipe .