Channa Saaru is a delicious dish to be had with rice !
- Black Chickpea ( Channa), 1 cup
- Fresh Coconut Gratings, 1/4 cup
- Red Chillies, 3 * I have used the Byadgi variety
- Green Chillies, slit, 1-2
- Tamarind, size of a small marble
- Coriander Seeds, 1 tsp
- Jeera (Cumin Seeds), 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida, a big pinch
- Jaggery, 1 tbsp or to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Coriander leaves, chopped, 1tbsp (for garnishing)
- Oil, 2 tsp or as required
- Mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves, 1 sprig
- Soak the Black Chickpeas for 7-8 hours overnight. Pressure cook this the next morning.
- Decant the channa and keep the stock aside.
- In a little oil, fry the red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, and coconut gratings separately and grind this along with tamarind to a smooth paste using required amount of water
- Add 1 tbsp of cooked channa in the final stage of grinding (this enhances the taste as well as the thickness of the ground paste)
- Add this paste to the channa stock, add slit green chillies, add salt, add jaggery, mix well
- Add water (if required) to bring it to the desired consistency and bring it to boil
- Next, season with mustard seeds and curry leaves
- Finally, garnish with chopped coriander leaves
- Serve hot with rice.