“Sapath” The divine Prasad of Sathyanarayana Vritha
With out any doubt Sathyanarayana Vritha possess a unique place among all the Pujas and Vrithas offered to Lord Vishnu. In Kaliyuga this Vritha is the simplest way to attain the blessings of the Lord. In this devotional Vritha “Sapath” is the main “nivedyam” offered to the Lord. In the Sathyanarayana “katha” it has given in details how to perform this virtha as well as about ingredients of “Sapath”. The quantity of ingredients has to be in the measure of 1 ¼ (Savayi) of any unit you are using. It can be “Podi”, “Cup”, “Pav” etc. If I say 1 ¼, it is only a basic measure and you can prepare the sapath using its multiples to any quantity you want.
- Wheat rava 1 ¼ cup
- Sugar 1 ¼ cup
- Ghee 1 ¼ cup
- Milk (1 ¼ x 2) 2 ½ cup
- Banana 5 (Rasabale / Kadali) or 1 ¼ cup of small pieces of banana
4. Add boiled milk and cook the rava till it is done and thickens. Take care that no lumps are formed. Add Banana pieces, mix well and sauté for a minute. Now add sugar sauté continuously till it thickens and ghee separates.
5. Transfer this into another vessel
- We can substitute jaggery to sugar as mentioned in the Sathyanarayana “Katha”.
- We can also add 1¼ cup water to 1¼ cup milk instead of 2½ cup milk.
- This recipe of sapath is from Sathyanarayana Katha and is also a Amchi Kodiyal one.
- It is seen in some places that cardamom powder, ghee fried raisins and cashews are added to this.
- Through out maintain medium heat and sauté continuously.
4 replies to “"Sapath" – divine Prasad”
What do you mean by wheat rawa? Is it Bombay rawa or chiroti rawa? Please clarify my doubt…
not Bombay rawa – You may know it as Dalia – (broken wheat)
Is it wheat rava or broken wheat, bcz wheat rava is too fine and broken wheat requires more cooking than rava. Previously we used to get bigger rava.
you can use either variety