When jackfruits are in season. we get a lot of Bikkand ! Jackfruit seeds . Never waste them as they can be used to make so many delicious dishes & are so nutritious too ! Here is a very simple to do but so tasty upkari. First & foremost clean the seeds properly . remove the white skin , then soak them in water for 3-4 hours .then the brown skin peels out easily!
- Bikkand – skinned & chopped into long thin slices – 2 cups
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp or as per taste ( generally more is added as the Bikkands themselves are a little sweet! )
- Hing- 1/4 tsp – Very essential
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Coconut oil 1 tbsp or more as needed
- Heat a kadai & add oil .splutter mustard seeds . switch off .Add the chilli powder & hing taking care not to burn it .
- Add the sliced bikkand & the salt and saute for 2-3 minutes .
- Add water & cook covered .
- Check to see if the bikkand has cooked . if needed add more water .
- When it has cooked add some more oil ( Optional ) and saute for some more time .
- A lip smacking upkari is ready ,
Enjoy as a side dish with rice or just as a snack !