Here is a quick & easy recipe for a spicy dish to be enjoyed with hot idlis , dosas sandann and also with rice !
- Kaarate / bittergourd – 1/2 cup – chopped into thin long pieces.
- Tomato – 1 medium sized – chopped
- Chilli powder – 1 tbsp or more according to your spice level.
- Salt to taste
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Udid dal – 1/2 tsp
- Methi seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Chop the karathe into thin long pieces . Marinate with salt for half an hour .
- Heat Kadai& add the oil . Splutter mustard seeds . Then add the udid dal & methi & fry till they turn golden brown.. Switch off flame .
- Add the chilli powder in the hot oil carefully so as not to burn it . you may also first fry the chilies , powder them & then add later on along with the karathe .
- Add the Karathe & chopped tomatoes . Add some water & salt & let cook till they have softened well & the gravy has slightly thickened .
- Switch off & add the hing . Keep covered for a few minutes .
- Mix well & serve with idlis , dosas rice etc.
- You can use any other sour agent like hog plums or star fruit instead of tomato .
- you can also add about 10 to 12 chundephal ( turkey berry ) halved and washed well to remove the seeds and cook along with the bitter gourd .