Phagil means teasel gourd/kantola.It is a seasonal vegetable.Sasam means mustard.This curry is a side dish with semi gravy consistency.The gravy is based on coconut and here we use mustard while grinding the masala . Phagil is deep fried and added to the masala.Here the Masala is raw and not boiled/cooked for this particular sidedish.
- Phagil 3-4
- Coconut grated 1 cup
- Roasted red chillies 4-5
- Tamarind lemon sized
- Hing a small piece- roasted
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp- roasted
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Salt to taste
- Chop Phagil into small pieces.Wash them drain off water.
- Apply salt and keep aside.
- Grind coconut gratings with roasted red chillies and tamarind.
- Before taking out the masala add hing and a tsp of mustard seeds both previously roasted with oil.
- Grind for another 1-2 mnts and transfer to a vessel.
- Heat oil in frying pan,squeeze the phagils and drop them into the hot oil and deep fry them till brown n crisp.
- Mix these fried crispies along with the masala.
- Add a little salt to the masala.do remember you have already added salt to the phagil.
- The masala need not be boiled and can be served as such.
- Mix the frys before serving.
Similar sasam/koot is prepared with Suran/Elephantfoot yam,too.Enjo with rice and amchi dalithoy.