Here is a Coconut and curd based gravy dish very popular with Kerala GSBs ! You can use Colcassia ( avla Mande ) , Yam , Suran also to this ..Here I have used only Ash gourd / Kuvale . each combination gives a unique taste to the dish ! You can make good use of sour curds to make a lip smacking curry!
Ingredients : –
- Kuvale chopped into square pieces – 1/2 cup .
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Red chilies – 5-6 as per taste ( Green chilies can be used instead of Red ones )
- Sour buttermilk or curds – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds ,jeera oil & curry leaves for seasoning!
- Salt to taste
- If using avla mande & yam / Kaachil , suran /surnu- 1/2 cup each – chopped
- Pressure cook or in a vessel the chopped kuvale with salt till soft but not mushy .
- Fry the chilies in a little oil taking care not to burn them .Grind to a fine paste – grated coconut , turmeric powder ( I add because my family doesn’t like to avoid this ), & the red chilies . Add it to the cooked Kuvale .
- Bring this to a boil , then reduce flame & let simmer for just two more minutes . If using buttermilk add it & again bring to a boil . switch off once you see the bubbles . If using curds . whisk it well .
- Now add the whisked curds only after the gravy has cooled down a bit . Check for salt.
- Heat the oil , Splutter mustard seeds , then add the jeera & curry leaves . Pour this over the curry & keep covered for a few minutes !Enjoy this with rice and pappads !
Here is a pic of Kaachila Ambat ( Yam ) by my friend –Chitra Suresh. She has used the same method – expect used green chillies instead of red !
When you use green chillies with Kuvale & mande ..you dont add haldi powder . this gives a yummm ambat and is known as Amboos ambat