- Surnu /yam – sliced thin & long – 2 cups
- Red chillis – 5 – 8 as per your spice level
- Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
- Tamarind – 1 gooseberry size
- Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil & mustard for tempering
Grind to a coarse paste – the coconut , jeera , red chillies , tamarind & turmeric powder .adding very little or no water .
When the surnu is 3/4th cooked add this paste & mix well .
Cover & cook on low flame stirring in between so that it gets well roasted ( bhajjunnu kadaka)You can add a little more oil if you want or use a non-stick pan if you don’t want to use much oil .
Enjoy this with Paej ( rice gruel ) or with rice as a side dish !