Pickles form an integral part of our meals. Maybe some of us don’t have it on a regular basis as in each meal but sometimes on the days when we are lazy or unable to cook a full fledged meal, pickles come in very handy and add the required zing to an otherwise mundane meal. Here I am sharing with you all a simple and comparatively healthy (pickles and healthy?? My mom would raise her eyebrows) amla pickle. I use the word healthy as this pickle uses just a few drops of oil and gooseberries as we all know are packed with vitamin C. I have to mention that this recipe is adapted from the very popular blog Aayis recipes. I have made a few minor changes to the recipe though.
Ingredients required :
- 15 large gooseberries
- Salt as required
- 4 tsp of chilly powder (can reduce or increase as per tolerance level)
- 2 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1.5 tsp of methi seeds
- a generous pinch of hing (asafetida)
- 2 to 3 green chilles
- 1 inch ginger piece
- 1 tsp cooking oil (preferably sesame oil)
- Wash the amlas well and pressure cook adding required salt and 1 cup of water for 2 to 3 whistles. Discard the seeds and reserve the amla segments.
- Grind half or a little less than half of the amla segments with the chilly powder, mustard, hing and 1 tsp of methi seeds (No need to fry any of these spices) the water used for cooking can be used to grind the amla along with the spices.Add the other half of the amla segments to this ground pulp.
- Heat oil in a small seasoning pan, add the finely chopped green chillies and ginger and half a tsp of the remaining methi seeds.Pour this over the ground amla mixture and mix well.check if extra salt is to be added.
- Put the pickle in a clean, completely dry glass bottle with an air tight lid and refrigerate. It is ready for use from the next day .
Note : I don’t know how long this pickle lasts as whenever I have prepared it it has got over within 15 to 20 days and has remained fresh till that time provided it is refrigerated.
One reply to “Avale Nonche (amla Pickle)”
Amla is very healthy fruit that has less fat and high carbohydrates. I have been looking for the Amla pickle for few days, the making process of this pickle is so delicious thank you for that. I have ordered the pickle from Sitara foods which tastes superb.