Summer is just round the corner & with it come mangoes !! Raw or ripe mangoes are loved by one & all so many dishes to be made & relished .You can find many recipes here for raw & ripe mango dishes ! now the recipe for the ultimate droollicious Ambulli Nonche or tender mango pickle !
First and foremost try to get very fresh tender mangoes with the stalk ( if possible )like the ones in the pic below !
- Fresh tender mangoes / ambullis – 1 kg
- Red Chillies ( preferably Kashmiri red chillies )- 100 gms
- Salt (preferably rock salt ) – 100gms – (adjust according to the sourness of the mangoes )
- Asafoetida / hing – 2 tsp
- Mustard – 50 gms
- Boiled & cooled water – as needed ( nearly 2 cups )
- Sun-dry the chillies & mustard . Sun-dry the glass bottles or bharanis (baked clay pots ). also sun-dry a large bowl & spoon for mixing and also your mixer jar .
- Place the tender mangoes in a bottle. add the salt & a cup of the water . keep it tightly closed for 3 days . giving it a thorough shake once in a while ! .
- After 3 days you can note that the mangoes have become paler & have shed water .
- Collect only the water in the bowl .
- Now put the chillies & mustard in your mixer jar & powder it well . add little by little of the water to the chilli mix so as to get a very smooth paste Some use chilli powder .but I don’t recommend that as we don’t get that thickness with powder. you get the right thickness & texture only when its ground paste !
- Now pour the paste into the bowl . add the mangoes .Mix well .
- Now add the hing & check for salt . Add salt only if needed .
- Also add more of the water for desired consistency . Now transfer the pickle into the jar. .
Cover the mouth of the jar with a clean cloth dipped in til/ sesame oil , screw on the lids tightly . the oil helps in preserving the pickle for a long time ! You can use the pickle after about a week . If you are a little worried about its shelf life .you can refrigerate it !
As & when required remove small amounts into a serving bowl with a DRY spoon ! Replace the oil cloth again ! Enjoy this with dosas , idlis ,rice and all !
- Always use sun-dried vessels & ingredients for making the pickle .
- Always use boiled & cooled water
- Handle with dry spoons only .