Dhavi randai literally translates to White Curry.The curry is called so because the gravy is white in colour unlike other Konkani curries which are red in colour due to the use of red chillies.This is a North Canara dish prepared usually during functions and is served as a side dish.This curry can also be called as their version of Valval which is a classic Konkani dish of South Canara and Kerala. The recipe of Valval has already been posted by my friend here (kerala version) and here (Mangalore/South canara version) . Do try this version also whenever you have plenty of vegetables .
- 2 potatoes(peeled and cubed)
- 2 drumsticks chopped
- 8-10 tendles(Ivy gourd) chopped
- 8-10 French beans (stringed and chopped )
- 1 small cup of magge(Madras cucumber/coloured cucumber) chopped without skin
- 5-6 lady’s finger chopped
- 1tender ghosale(ridge gourd) scraped and chopped
- 8-10 alsande/chawli(cowpea beans) stringed and chopped
- Handful of sweet corn or regular corn kernels(cobs can also be added by chopping them into thick roundels)
- Handful of cashewnut pieces soaked
For the gravy/paste:
- A cup of coconut grated
- 2-3 green chillies(more or less depending upon the spiciness)
- Pinch turmeric powder
- Few cashewnut pieces soaked (optional)
For the seasoning:
- Tbsp of ghee
- sprig of curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp of asafoetida/hing
- Tsp of mustard seeds
- Pressure cook all the veggies except lady’s finger for 1-2 whistles with a pinch of salt.
- Fry the chopped lady’s finger with few drops of oil in a pan till they are done. Keep aside
- Roast the green chillies in few drops of oil till they have white specks on them.
- Grind the coconut with roasted green chillies, cashewnuts and pinch turmeric to a smooth paste using water as required.
- Remove the paste to a cooking vessel ,add the boiled veggies to this paste along with the fried lady’s finger,soaked cashewnuts and salt.
- Give a gentle boil adding water to adjust the consistency and switch off.
- Season with the ingredients mentioned above under the heading “Seasoning”.
The delicious dish is ready to be enjoyed with our meals
- Try to add all the vegetables mentioned in the recipe.
- Cashewnut while grinding is to maintain the thickness and can be avoided .
- I recommend the curry to be seasoned with ghee only.
- Traditionally fresh piece of turmeric is added while grinding but as it is difficult to find – turmeric powder is added now a days ..but even the turmeric powder should be added in very small quantity or else the gravy will have yellow colour .