A simple Dish is always The best!
And this is one among them. My Amma makes this at home where as there are other ways to make this dish too! Batato means Potato and Pej means a thick stew! I am posting Amma’s version of it.
- Potato -2 cooked, peeled and cubed
- Thick coconut milk – 1 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup * see notes
- Maida or cornflower – 1 tbsp
- Hing A pinch or hing water a tsp
- Salt to taste
- Jeera- 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves -10
- Coconut Oil or Vegetable Oil(i used coconut oil) for tempering
- Green chilly – 1
- Red Chilly – 1
- Heat a pan add coconut milk and potato, green chilly and boil it 5 minutes.
- When bubbles start appearing add salt and hing to it.
- Now mix the maida in half cup water and add it to the potato stew.
- Simmer the stove meanwhile.
- Allow it to bubble for next five minutes, the gravy gets thickened. In case you feel its more thick you can add extra water for the desired consistency.
- After 5 minutes switch off the flame.
- In a tempering pan heat oil and add mustard seeds and jeera. when it splutters add curry leaves and broken red chillies. and temper it over the Stew, and Enjoy!
- This tastes yummy with Appam, white rice or Dosa.
- When you strain the coconut milk, keep aside the first thick milk and then remove the thin milk once again.
- You can use the thin milk instead of using water for the above recipe mentioned.
- I have done it that way this increases the richness of the curry and gives a extra coconut flavor!