Panchkadayi is a sweet prasad/naivedya which is offered to God during Srikrishna Janmastami, Gowri/Vayana Pooja, Ganesh Chathurthi or in temple functions too. Like the most common offering Pohvu. this prasad is also very important. This is prepared with roasted lentils and sesame seeds in coconut and jaggery syrup.Ingredients :-
- Roasted channa dal – 1/2 cup
- Roasted moongdal – 1/2 cup
- Coconut grated – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Roasted Sesame seeds – 2-tsp
- Popped rice (layi/layee) powder- 1 tbsp. (Optional) readymade pitto is available or can be dry roasted and blended
- Cardamom powder – 1- 2 tsp
- Dry roast Sesame seeds,Channa dal and Moong dal each separately till you get a nice aroma.
- When cool coarsely powder channa dal and Moongdal.
- In a pan add 1/4th cup water and the jaggery and heat in medium flame.
- Besides it on the kitchen platform place a small plate add little water to check whether the jaggery has got its consistency.
- When the jaggery is fully melted and the syrup becomes thick just drop a little in this water.
- We should be able to shape into ball if rolled with fingers. Till we get that consistency we need to wait for the jaggery to become syrup.
- Immediately simmer gas and add the grated coconut, now the jaggery syrup will get diluted wait till bubbles appear in the centre and the sides of the pan.
- Now add the coarsely powdered channa dal, mong dal, til and cardamom powder cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix very well. Switch off gas.
- When cool store in a clean air tight box.
- This can be prepared with channa dal alone also – in that case you can omit moong dal.
- Layee/layi pitto (popped rice powder is optional.