Layi Pitto means popped rice powder which is available in readymade packets. This is my favourite too. Ingredients;-
- Layi Pitto – 1/4 kg
- Jaggery – 1 kg
- Roasted til – 2-3 tbsp.
- Roasted cashew bits/groundnuts – handful
- Cardamom powder – 2 tsp
- Ghee to apply for hands while shaping the ladoo
- In a thick kadai add 1/2 cup water and the jaggery.
- Heat the jaggery in medium flame till they completely dissolve.
- Now strain this syrup thru a strainer to remove dirt and stones if any in the jaggery.
- Now add this syrup again in the kadai and heat till thick syrup is formed .
- Meanwhile keep ready a small plate with little water in it.
- When the syrup is thick, drop a little on this water and check whether they become hard immediately and when rolled with fingers becomes like a ball.
- Immediately switch off the gas. for pics you may refer here .
- Now add the ingredients one by one like til, roasted cashew, cardamom powder and layi pitto as much as the jaggery can hold and mix very well till the jaggery syrup gets along.
- Now apply ghee to palms. When the hands are ready to bear the ready take small portion of the prepared mixture and shape into ladoos.
- This will harden when the mixture cools, so needs be done little faster.
Note: Can add karo (unsalted thick variety sev) in the above ladoo.
You can also reduce the quantity of Layee powder and increase a little the quantity of til seeds. And that ladoo looks like this. This type ladoo is prepared on Gowri Pooja/Vayana pooja and Ganesh Chathurthi.
When cool store in airtight dabbas.